Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Spring Cleaning & Baby Proofing

They say that cleaning your house when you have kids is much like brushing your teeth while eating Oreos. I think someone says that, anyway.


I actually love Spring cleaning. If I don't get to put pumpkins everywhere or put up a Christmas tree, I want my house to be clean & clutter free. That is a total joke when you have a kid, so this year, we focused more on kid-safe cleaning products & containing the clutter (rather than getting rid of it, since there is really no such thing). At least I want to have the appearance of a neatly organized home! :) I am a basket hoarder. Diapers, blankets, toys, and all other "everyday essentials" are hidden away in baskets around every corner. It's a BREEZE to clean up. 

Our cleaning schedule really consists of two things, picking up each night after Harper is in bed & a deep-clean every Sunday afternoon. We do dishes/sweep/pick up toys every day, which keep things in working order. Then, on Sundays, we scrub bathrooms, floors, vacuum, lint roll our cat-hair-coated-furniture & dust. We also do ALL of our laundry on Sundays. It's a joke to try keeping up with it throughout the week & things end up sitting in the washer overnight.

Spring cleaning also means organizing & making room for new things (psst... that's my favorite part). Here is my list of Spring Cleaning Favorites! :)
Mason Jars - I use these for EVERYTHING. You can buy them by the dozen here. I use these not just iced coffee, but for cotton balls, q-tips, washi tape, pacifiers, paint, chalk, etc. We also use the quilted jelly jars for drinking, but these are also perfect for storing small things all around the house.
Glass Canisters - You've seen these in lots of my pictures, we store Harper's headbands in them, flour/oats in the kitchen, makeup & craft supplies in the play room. If you're looking for a super affordable, pretty storage solution, these are perfect for every room of the house.
White Zip Organizers - We have these stashed away in drawers & cupboards all over the house, helping to organize everything. You'll see them in Harper's Nursery Tour too, they are so great for getting a baby's room organized, plus they are soft & safe for kids to get their little hands on.
Method Lemon Mint Dish Soap - Smells amazing & looks good enough to leave out on the counter all the time!
BabyGanics All Purpose Cleaner - We use this for just about everything, it's always hard to find a baby-safe cleaning product that smells good & actually works. Babyganics, we love you!
Glade Plugin Sweet Pea & Lilac - I always hated the idea of scented plugins & always stuck to candles, but on a whim we picked this one up a few weeks ago because of the scent, and LOVE IT. Our house smells so great, every time we walk in the door you notice the fresh, spring scent right away.
Wire Baskets -These are perfect for containing the clutter, even if you have a bunch of little bottles, cleaners, odds & ends, if you contain them in a simple wire basket, everything looks a hundred times better. We use these all over our house too, super affordable & they make such a statement when grouped together.
Accessory Tray - Love these for countertops, again you don't have to get rid of clutter, just contain it. If you typically have nailpolishes, jars, facewashes, etc. all sitting on your bathroom vanity, put it all together neatly on a tray & you will see a totally different, more organized look. Another favorite is the acrylic tray that I have from the Container Store, the clear finish will match any room in the house! :)

CLUTTER. CONTAINED.


 
 On the topic of cleaning & organizing, one thing that we desperately needed to do in our house was finish BABYPROOFING. Harper has been given the freedom of no more baby gates, so she runs laps around the entire downstairs, getting into anything & everything within reach. The biggest debate between my husband & I was about how we would babyproof our cabinets.
I despise the plastic spring loaded door/drawer stops, they drive me utterly bonkers. We were determined to find a different solution.
I absolutely do not have the patience to hear a door open & slam shut for children's everlasting entertainment, nor would I be able to contain my self from hulk-smashing our silverware drawer to the ground every time it taunts me when I try to open it. I'm a bit of a "ram-rod" as my husband says. I yank open drawers when I'm in a hurry & would lose my shit at the sound of all the metal slamming to the front as the drawer comes to a hault after opening one measly inch.

ANYWAY.
We did some research, and ended up going with the Magnetic Locking System & I will never look back. They are more expensive than the alternatives, but well well well worth the money. The doors/drawers don't open at all unless you hold the magnetic key up to the spot where you have attached the lock, which then pulls the little lever inside down. That means no partial opening slamming at all.


 BEST PART. They have an on/off switch. So once you put the kiddos to bed, you can just turn the switch to off for the night, so you can cook or put away your dishes like normal. Hell yes.


Harper has tried opening the doors, realizes that they don't budge & now doesn't even bother with them. Jackpot. You can find them here
I'll be sure to include more of the baby proofing products with our 13-14 month favorites post soon, but for now, time to get back to birthday week fun (aka. a guilt-free slice of Publix cake).

65 comments:

  1. Hunter flats! Holy hell you're on top of it! I just ordered my first pair of Hunter boots and can't wait for a rainy, cold day this Fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh im so envious of your magnetic locks! The way our cabinets were designed we can't use them! Luckily I found an alternative that works but doesn't look the best. And totally agree cleaning up after little ones...as soon as i pick things up I turn around and its everywhere again lol! We pick up after Ava goes to bed now too...seems like the only time i can get things done anymore! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just curious, but how do your cabinets have to be in order to use them? These would be great for us if we could put them on our cabinets but I don't want to buy them if they won't work...

      Delete
  3. Great post! We're not quite at baby-proofing yet, but we'll be soon enough - and those magnet things look great! We have diapers, wipes, etc. in baskets too - and have the same products from Container Store. It's sad, but I really enjoy putting away the clutter every night! We have the same cleaning schedule.

    Enjoy your birthday week!

    www.themilehighmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! We're not quite at baby-proofing yet, but we'll be soon enough - and those magnet things look great! We have diapers, wipes, etc. in baskets too - and have the same products from Container Store. It's sad, but I really enjoy putting away the clutter every night! We have the same cleaning schedule.

    Enjoy your birthday week!

    www.themilehighmom.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cleaning! Everyone thinks I'm crazy haha
    I love little baskets to put thing in!! I have a bathroom with no space for any makeup, so I have wire baskets that have suction cups on them, and store my makeup and other necessities on my bathroom mirror (because it's probably the biggest thing in my flipping bathroom! O_O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, we could be best friends. I've always said a cluttered house makes a cluttered mind & I literally can't sleep if I know there's a mess somewhere in our house haha Spring cleaning is one of the best times of year. There is nothing I love more than a clean house. & organizing with baskets & jars just makes it that more fun :) So glad you posted the ikea drawer organizers! I've been meaning to get more & the last time I checked they were out of stock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. these are my favorite posts of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Do you happen to know where your bathroom faucet is from? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We so need to start baby proofing...gotta check out these locks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, those Hunter flats are so adorable! Would you recommend them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those Hunter flats are so adorable! Would you recommend them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. those locks are a great find! and I'm dying to spring clean, except our current way of cleaning is just ripping everything out of this house! Can't wait until her party is over and projects are done for a bit so things can find their home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So, two things...first of all, can I just say (as a new follower) that I am absolutely in love with your blog! You are adorable and Harper....all I can say is cutie patootie! Second, I'm from Nebraska, so I was technically your neighbor at one point! Goooo Huskers! :) Love reading your posts because you crack me up! Looking forward to following you and watching little Harper grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! Thank you for sharing that! It WILL BE a huge life-saver, OMG. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. LOL :)

    I am the same way...basket addict, organization addict, and type A personality here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Noah's dresser is filled with the Ikea white baskets and we LOVE them! I also love the glass canisters and acrylic trays, makes all that stuff look pretty in the bathroom.

    I have never heard of those magnetic cabinet locks... I will be bookmarking this for when we need to baby proof!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I tried the Jcrew "rainflats" on a while back and the sides dug into my arches. Are the Hunter ones pretty soft and comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, I NEED to know where those adorable polka dot washcloths are from!! They are SO stinkin' cute!
    Love your style...home, bebe, yourself...all of it! You're inspiring and hilarious. Thanks for sharing your life with us! :)
    -Allison

    ReplyDelete
  18. I now need to do a major clean!!!! Thanks for the great product recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. love the bathroom counter set up!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I must have the polka dot towels!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. great round up! I have wire baskets I'm my kitchen to corral all my dish stuff. I can't wait to get started with spring cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Where are those Polka dot washcloths from? I must have them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I LOVE all your posts lately!! So fun to start my day off reading your blog. I also love how frequent you have been posting. :) I would love to see some fashion posts. Posts about what your daily at home wear is, your running errands outfits and a night on the town outfits.
    Enjoy your birthday week. I turned 27 in march and its not so bad lol :) Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  24. thank you for all the product links!! love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I also love those glass canisters from Target! <3

    I haven't seen your cat in any of your posts. S/he is part of the family, so I'd love to see a cat-related post...especially any ideas you have on keeping the litter box (and litter scatter) contained and smelling fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That analogy is so funny and too true. I clean once a week too, although after I am done i look around the house and it still looks like a disaster because my two year old has followed me around and put all of his toys everywhere. At least I know under all of that mess everything else is clean:)
    On another note, I do stress to my clients all the time that the secret to keeping things organized and clean with children is BASKETS! But most of them have no idea what's ahead in that department, they are just waiting for their new babies to arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your Hunter flats! I've been eying them for some time now...are they comfy?? Thanks for the recs! Cannot wait to try the magnetic locks. We are so behind on baby proofing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Those locks are genious. I will definitely keep that in mind when my little girl gets to Harper's stage!

    ourlittlefamblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Somehow you even make cleaning sound fun! I'd love to get into a Sunday habit of cleaning everything. My house definitely needs it. Oh, and those polka dot towels?!?!? Squee!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome organization, I will be on the hunt for some wire baskets this week for sure. My house is in desperate need of organizing and spring cleaning. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hello! I have been a quiet troll here for a while, but this post and your recent post on breastfeeding really has me wondering...how did you organize your feeding "stuff?" Any chance you have pics from that time? I have a small kitchen with limited counter space and I, like you, loathe clutter. Just looking for organization inspiration.

    Thanks for all the GREAT posts! Also, Harper is too cute. Fact.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Where did you get your light pink hunter flats?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Can you tell me where you got your background and or template?

    ReplyDelete
  34. I LOVE this post!!! Super great organization ideas!! I can't wait to get the ikea boxes for my husband;) Would love more posts on your clutter-control- what great product suggestions- thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Say whattt? A magnetic locking system! Have I been living under a rock? Must. Order. Now.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Those magnetic things look really nifty, I can't keep Matthew out of the kitchen cabinets, its ridiculous. "what's this bottle mom" "oh nothing, just poisonous Windex) GRR.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I LOOOOVE those Hunter flats! Are they a light pink or a lavender?? Also, I am so completely envious of your kitchen! White cabinets and exposed brick are to die for!!


    http://youngloveplus1.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  38. I figured you got the mason jars on Amazon. There are some really cool set there. I love your basket ideas. Our house is too small for our big family and there is clutter EVERYWHERE. I just wish we had the counter space to use baskets. Our bathroom sink it tiny with NO counter space. My husband leaves all his crap all over the small space that is the counter.

    Trying to keep the house clean and organized is impossible with kids. Believe me, I know. It's worst when you have little boys who haven't perfected their "aim", if you know what I mean. I have to bleach my bathrooms 2-3 times a week. I would love to find a product that doesn't leave your house smelling like decaying bacteria. It doesn't help to have two smelly dogs stinking up the carpet either. Febreze doesn't work!

    I LOVE magnet baby locks, they are the best and aren't an eye sore. You have amazing taste! Thanks for the great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Love the magnets! My daughter, Reese, is 4 months, so I'm sure to buy those here pretty soon, once crawling starts! I don't know if you have heard of Thirty-One, but this company has GREAT items for storage and organizing! I've bought about 3 of their Your Way Cube and they are in every room in my house, to throw in Reese's blankets, diapers, wipes, etc. You can even personalize too!! I'm a consultant, so take a look at my website for great deals...I'm sure you will fall in love w everything!! www.mythirtyone.com/stefwathey

    ReplyDelete
  40. Here in about 3 months I will need all of that wonderful baby-proofing stuff again :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. We just got to use our son's room again, so we are exited to be cleaning up and giving him, his space! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  42. I just came across your blog and can I say love love love! I read your about me - I'm from Iowa also! You have the cutest little family and I love your eye for design. :)



    http://thehazardsoflovemle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  43. Next you should do a post on how you organizer Harper's clothing, my first baby is due in mid June and I just can't figure out the best way to go about organizing her clothes. I love your blog it has helped me make a lot of final disissions on what to buy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  44. We are just starting to baby proof so I will anxiously be awaiting your favorites... No rush! ;-) Also, where do you have the cat's food & litter box so that the cat has access but Harper doesn't?

    tinytoeslittlenose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  45. we have the same locks and love them....

    ReplyDelete
  46. Love this post!! I just love all the neat stuff you find. The cleaning schedule and organizational ideas ate perfect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love the way you dress baby girl. Cutest outfits! Any special looks planned for Mother's Day? I need some inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  48. oh i love baskets and organization too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  49. That magnetic locking system sound intriguing, but I'm curious if the magnetic keys tend to go missing or get misplaced so you're always going out of your way to grab the key to open a cupboard?

    ReplyDelete
  50. We use vinegar, dish soap, peroxide, baking soda, borax and washing soda to clean our house. It gets everything clean and has no chemical smell. I even make our laundry detergent. My husband and I both have sensitive skin and I am allergic to almost every type of laundry detergent. Plus it is super cheap to make. At first the smell of the vinegar kind of irritated me but now I am used to it. You can even add essential oil to it to mask the smell. We save so much money on cleaning supplies it isn't even funny.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Before my son was born I started making our laundry detergent. I also switched all of our cleaning supplies and now only use dish soap, vinegar, baking soda, washing soda, and borax. They don't have that "chemical" smell. Plus we save a lot of money on cleaning supplies. We have saved hundreds on laundry detergent alone. Thank you for the organization ideas. I haven't been able to get organized, and like you said cleaning with kids is like brushing your teeth while eating Oreos. My one year old is into everything and as soon as we pick up toys they are scattered all around again.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Oh. My. Goodness. You are my hero... I've been absolutely dreading the drawer/ cabinet proofing issue, but this sounds phenomenal! Thank you for posting the link!!!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  53. Oh my!! Our little one is almost 6 months old and I found your blog via pinterest recently. So excited, thanks for sharing those baby proof locks...they are PERFECT, I hate those old school clicking ones as well! Those will definitely be on our list!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Great post! Have you seen these? http://www.amazon.com/Pledge-Fabric-Sweeper-Hair-sweeper/dp/B003TNA6AE. They're a total rip-off on Amazon, but are sold for I think six bucks at Target. Totally worth it. We have a cat and a big white Lab, and this is the fastest thing we've found to help our fur-on-the-furniture situation. It rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  55. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post & LOVE LOVE LOVE those baby locks!!! We found them after our daughter was born (she's our 3rd) & we are SO in LOVE with them!!! We don't know how we ever did without them!!! You know a Mom had to have designed them...AWESOME!!! Hope you have a AWESOME birthday bash!!!

    ReplyDelete
  56. The Honest Company has really awesome products, my go to for family safe stuff. They really smell good, AND they work! Highly recommend trying out the bundle (you can do your first one just for the cost of shipping). They also have AMAZING bath products for the kiddo and chemical-free sunscreen. The company is seriously one of my favorite finds since becoming a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  57. What size mason jars do you use? There are tons of different sizes on that link you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  58. What size mason jars do you use? I went to the link and there are a bunch of different sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Have you tried the Wallflower plug-ins from Bath & Body Works? They are amazing. I feel like the glade ones quit smelling good after a few days but the wallflowers last around a month. The plug-ins are super cute too and affordable. They're usually 4/$20, and they have a lot of amazing scents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  60. Have you seen the glass canisters with chalkboard labels from Pier 1?

    http://www.pier1.com/Chalkboard-Jars/PS1579,default,pd.html?cgid=kitchen_cooking

    ReplyDelete
  61. You need to see this cool reusable lint roller! Just take 10 seconds now to see it live at www.SecretKidCleanup.com

    ReplyDelete
  62. The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post.



    Stylish Multipurpose TV Stand

    ReplyDelete